Monday, April 14, 2008

Cirque du Soleil

On Saturday Patrick and I went to Cirque du Soleil. They have their tents set up in downtown Portland on the waterfront. They have been performing Corteo. This weekend was their last set of performances.

Our tickets were really fancy. We had these VIP tickets called Tapis Rouge. We arrived at the show an hour early and had cocktails and appetizers in a special tent just for the VIPs. There were only a handful of people. Most of them were couples so it was quite festive even without all the fancy bombay gin drinks.

Once we were good and happy we went to our seats. Our seats were in the second row center isle. Needless to say they were fabulous seats. The performance was bar none the best theatrical performances I had ever seen. The set design was awesome. The costumes were unbelievable and ranged from really simple pj type outfits to elaborate angel costumes like you might see on an ornate Christmas card from the victorian era. I wanted to come right home and start sewing myself a costume!

The best part of the performance was getting to really see and connect with the expressions on the faces of the performers though. It made the acts so much more real and meaningful to me. When you see something in a movie you are so far distint from it you don't realize the creativity that went into it. I got the same thrill I get from being around my crafty friends. It is such a rush to be around such monumental creativity. It is like a drug!

Speaking of creativity and crafty friends... Crafty wonderland was great! I have already sent in my email to the organizers begging to be included in the next one. As I mentioned before I went with my friends Molly and Kathy. It is great going with them as I am so shy around strangers that I would have never asked as many questions as they did (really, sometimes Molly can be a little scary... she is so excited!). Then after our brunch and Crafty Wonderland fun Molly took off and Kathy and I spent about 4 hours shopping. We went to the art store, fabric store, yarn store, kids boutique, and 2 paper places. We also had dessert at a badly organized cafe in the Pearl where my iced latte came hot in a mug and Kathy had to ask for her tea twice because they forgot they needed to get ice. At least it tasted good. Kathy had a canolli that she kept saying some guy in Italy made. No idea what she was talking about, but it was funny.

So all in all a pretty fab weekend.

No comments:

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs